Reaching out for help from a counselor can be frightening.
When you recognize that you need help coping with experiences, thoughts and feelings, it takes courage to ask for help, but getting help can change the course of your life. Here are some indications that counseling might be beneficial.
- When you have exhausted your support system
- Feeling restless, irritable or depressed without knowing why
- Struggling with thoughts or feelings about the past
- Worrying that you might have a mental illness
- Entertaining thoughts of suicide or self-harm
- Confused about the direction of your life
Effective counseling is a two way street. It takes a collaborative effort by both the person receiving counseling and the counselor. And it takes a commitment to make difficult changes in behavior or thinking patterns.
You will know if counseling is effective when you begin to gain insight into your thoughts and behaviors that have been stumbling blocks to your happiness. You will know that therapy is working when you develop new perspectives about past experiences. Most importantly, therapy is working when you begin to feel empowered.